Follow new updates daily on Twitter:

Friday, July 16, 2010

A great achievement for BP?

While my car was being fixed this morning, I was sitting in the auto service lounge and watching, of all things, CNN (which I watch for about 5 minutes every 3 months as my car gets new oil). Another man was sitting close by and watching with interest as the news of BP finally managing to temporarily halt oil going into the Mexican Gulf was discussed. "Just imagine what they can do all the way down deep in the ocean!" - he exclaimed. I tried to respond with something along the lines of "If they hadn't been so sloppy in the first place, this operation wouldn't have been necessary", but I don't think that's what he wanted to hear. Just imagine - a great technological achievement, plugging an oil well deep in the ocean!

I just hope, with all my heart, that what has been happening in the Gulf for the past 3 months will not go down in history as a victory. Yes, a lot of people are doing their best now to end the crisis. Yes, if new oil finally stops getting out into the Gulf, it will be excellent news. But no, this is not the main point nor should it be.

1 comment:

  1. Thw sentence "If they hadn't been so sloppy in the first place, this operation wouldn't have been necessary" will be included in Grammar books, thus BP endeavor will find its way into history.

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments!