But really, how can it? In the past week, the following news items have come up repeatedly:
- 1 billion dollars
wastedspent on G8/G20 security alone
- Political staffers and aids to ministers no longer permitted to testify before Parliamentary inquiries and panels
- Three Tory ministers came uninvited to a Parliamentary hearing and acted as self-assured bullies
- Canada is one of a very small number of countries in the world that appears to see little or nothing wrong in military attacks against civilian vessels in international waters
- Each and every speech, presentation, answer, phone call, event etc. organized by anyone linked to the federal government may first need to be vetted by PMO
- Millions of dollars spend on "infrastructure" projects "linked" to G8/G20 but nowhere in proximity of the two summits
- And, last (for now), 2 million dollars are being spent on making an artificial show-off lake (aka "Harper's Folly") in Toronto
Reading either one of this gets one uneasy or troubled or puzzled or at least curious as to what the federal government is doing to our economy and our democracy. Why not?
ADDITION: I may be wrong in my pessimism! Hurray! NDP at 20.7%.